Today I've enjoyed reading several blogs that recapped 2006. I thought I'd do the same thing - kind of like one of those year end countdowns you see on TV. So here we go...
The Top Ten Reasons I Like Knit Blogging (2006 version)
10. Learning new computer things - Like how to edit HTML code. I doubt I'll ever be a computer expert, but I have enjoyed the feeling of figuring out something on my own.
9. Memes - I've found this to be a fun way to get to know people and to share about myself. My favorite meme may be the "6 weird things" meme.
8. Journal - I'm not always good at documenting things, so it has been extremely helpful to be able to look back to see when I sprained my wrist, when we took a trip, etc. Wanting to document my knitting progress was one of the reasons I started a knitting blog, but the blog has become a way to document a lot more. And this post will document my year in knitting.
7. KALs/swaps/web rings/contests - These have been fun! And I've learned that I'm not the best KALer. But each of these things has introduced me to some great folks.
6. Using new supplies - This year I tried Denise Interchangeable Needles, made a swift, and bought a ball winder. I bought my first Addi Turbos and double pointed needles. I have lots more knitting books than I had last year at this time. And my yarn stash is way bigger than it should be. I doubt I'd have discovered all these things if I hadn't been reading blogs and asking questions.
5. Charity knitting - It has been wonderful to see the outpouring of generosity from knit bloggers. From blanket squares to mittens, hats and scarves, it's been great to see what other people knit and to get involved myself.
4. Trying new knitting projects - When I started blogging, I had only made some scarves, one hat, and some felted bags. My favorite thing was felting and I really couldn't understand why someone would want to knit a large project like a sweater or socks. After trying a few things, I'm hooked. This year, I've made my first sweaters and dishcloths. I tried socks and lace, and will accomplish these things next year.
3. Improved knitting - My knitting has improved a lot this year! A lot of this has been due to seeing what you're knitting and the helpful advice everyone gives. I've tried intarsia, knitting in the round with two circular needles, knitting cables, etc. I have much more confidence than I had before and you are all so encouraging!
2. Laughing and crying - Reading your blogs this year has been like watching a movie. I laughed, I cried... I like reading what you have to say.
And the number 1 reason I liked knit blogging this year......
1. My new knit blogging friends - I've really enjoyed meeting each of you this year. You're from different countries, different states, different everything. But we all have knitting in common and you are wonderful, generous, fascinating people and I'm happy to know you!
This concludes my Top Ten list. 2007 is going to be even better!
Happy New Year!